- High efficiency – LEDs are now available that reliably offer over 100 lumens from a one-watt device, or much higher outputs at higher drive currents
- Small size – provides design flexibility, arranged in rows, rings, clusters, or individual points
- High durability – no filament or tube to break
- Life span – in properly engineered lamps, LEDs can last 50,000 – 60,000 hours
- Full dimmability – unlike fluorescent lamps, LEDs can be dimmed using pulse-width modulation (PWM – turning the light on and off very quickly at varying intervals). This also allows full color mixing in lamps with LEDs of different colors.
- Mercury-free – unlike fluorescent and most HID technologies, LEDs contain no hazardous mercury or halogen gases